13 November, 2008

Let's talk about......food!!

So, I'm sitting here, it's about 1:30 Thursday afternoon, enjoying a bowl of my Indonesian-style Ice Cream, I thought I would share with everyone some of my favorite (and not so favorite) foods of Indonesia, so far--

Here's my scale of deliciousness...dollar signs....lol....but anyway, the more dollar signs, the more delicious ;-) Five is the max, 0 is the least. 

Ice Cream -- $$$$$
It's like traditional American Ice Cream, but with ice, bread and gummies, with a light coating of sweet chocolate sauce. Yes I said bread. The gummies are green and pink. The pink ones are frozen and round, while the greens ones are fat little worms. All piled together in a bowl. Yummmmm.......I'm going to miss it when I come home. 

Eri's Favorite Drink -- $$$$$
I have no way of describing this drink other than it's good, and full of sugar, oh and also full of those green short fat wormies from before. It looks like a glass of throw-up based on the color, but you sip it, and it's just delicious. What's in it? Sugar, and lots of it. That's why I only drink a small tiny amount, cause too much sugar makes me sleepy.

Nasi Goreng -- $$$$$
It's Indonesian for fried rice. Different than American Chinese style fried rice. But good still the same. You should totally try it. Especially you Patricia...packed full of rice and veggies. 

Mie Goreng -- $$$$$
I love this stuff. It's fried noodles, with meat and sweet soy sauce, and and and what else.....hmmmm.....veggies, and something else I can't remeber.... But there are many variations of Mie Goreng. Order it one place, then order it somewhere else, it's totally different. Sometimes it's wet, sometimes you need broth to pour over it. But reallllly good. 

Bakso -- $$$$$
Well, Bakso is meatball w broth...and then there's Bakso Goreng, which is guess what....Fried Meatball.....but it's good nonetheless. I love the meatballs. The broth is good, usually poured over noodles. I had noodles and Bakso, both fried and normal for lunch today. Yummmm.....oh and Eri's drink, and ice cream. Gosh...I'm sounding like a pig, but it wasn't really as much food as it sounds....

Soto Ayam -- $
It's ok...every once and a while....back when I first arrived we had it for lunch, then dinner, then lunch again, and I had enough Soto Ayam to last a lifetime. Ever since, I have had no interest in it. But it's cheap and easy, so people like to eat it a lot. Oh yes, before I forget, it's I have no idea....it's like a soup you pour over rice with miscellaneous parts of a chicken floating around. Actually now that I think about it, it's not the taste that is so bad, it's the miscellaneous parts of the chicken is why I most likely won't eat it.......

Fried Tofu -- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yumm!!!!!! It's delicious! And a variation is stuffed fried tofu, and it's just as good. One time I had veggies stuffed inside, and the other time I had meat. Yumm yumm!!

Beef Soup -- $$$$
It's good. It's exactly what it's name implies. 

Sweet and Sour Chicken -- $$$$$
Very good stuff. Again, not like American style Sweet and Sour chicken, Indonesian style. 

Steamed veggies -- $$$$$$
Good

Shrimp Chips -- $$$$$
They are.....hmmm....let me explain them most accurately. They are shrimp flavored, but their texture is like pork rinds...... they are good. I used to feed them to the birdie outside Eri's Uncle's house.......

Mooncake -- $$$$$
It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. But entirely too much grease, and butter. But they are like cakes with nuts and a little bit of chocolate. If you need to use the bathroom quickly, these are the things to eat, but they are sooo worth it. They are freakin good!!

Ding-a-ding Tofu Cart -- $$$$$
It's a dude that comes around at night and goes ding-a-ding-a-ding and we know it's the tofu dish. It's fried tofu with potato, rice thingie, peanut sauce, and some veggies I don't know the name of, and it's good stuff. Especially when it's warm. 

Sate Ayam -- $$$$$
Chicken skewers with peanut sauce and rice thingies. Rice thingies are like sticky rice but cone-shaped...... Yumm!!

Lamb Sate -- $$$$
Lamb skewers....peanut sauce ones, and soy sauce ones....but the place that sells those has THE BEST limeade in the whole world, so far. It's most likely because of the sugar, cause the sugar here tastes so good!

Little green coconut balls -- $$$$$
They are little green balls with warm liquidified sugar on the inside, and coconut on the outside. They are good. 

Shark Fin Soup -- $$$
Eri's Aunt that just returned from Japan, made it for us after our wedding. I drank the broth, and I wanted to eat it, but I couldn't bring myself to eat shark. I love those guys.....and I just couldn't do it....it's a major delicacy, I at least had to try to eat it. The broth tasted surpringsly delicious.

Egg tofu w peanut sauce -- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
It's egg and tofu mixed together, fried, then has peanut sauce on top!! So good! I love it!!

KFC -- Well, KFC I eat maybe once a week.....I eat the chicken wrap #4 combo with a Pepsi....lol. Sometimes fish filet. But it just tastes better here!!

I get made fun of (in a nice way of course) for eating rice 1.) by itself w no sauce or meat or anything and  2.) I eat it with a fork. They have never seen anyone eat rice with a fork before, lol. They eat rice with their hands or a spoon. But never a fork!! Hahahah!!

Now that's all the food I can think of at the moment......or at least the ones I eat on a regular basis...

I must go wash my ice cream dish now.

Love ya. 

CW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THE GIRL LIKES HER FOOD