11 October, 2008

happy happy joy joy!!

Good morning!!

It's about 11:01 Sunday morning here........and I start my "job" tomorrow!!!

Yes yes....JOB! Since Eri and I aren't doing a whole lot during the day....except when he goes to his family's store to help out....I stay home pretty much....so there is an International Language School here in Mojokerto, so on Friday Eri, his Buddhist Uncle and I all stopped by to talk to them for a bit, and I am teaching an English class on Monday and Tuesday mornings from 7am-1pm! Yes it's exciting to me, I am looking forward to it. They basically said it's an honor for a native speaker to join them.....not a whole lot of native speakers make their way through Mojokerto. So...yeah...how exciting!! They offered to pay me, but we told them I was strictly volunteering, so they offered to give me breakfast and lunch, and transportation to and from the facility....which is very nice. They seem pretty excited too!

On today's agenda...there's not a whole lot....I think his Aunt wants to take us to the mountains today....and get some of that egg and tofu dish that I love! hehehehe......I don't know why there are so many comments about not liking tofu....it's super yummy stuff. I loved it before I came here....I'm not sure why you don't like it....but anyway......I'm feeling kinda silly today, so let me interview myself...maybe answer a few questions some people were having...... :-D

Here are some FAQ's:

1. So where exactly is Mojokerto?
Well, it's about an "hour" outside of Surabaya...Eri says it's compared to a redneck town in GA....which I'm not entirely convinced of that...BUT that is what he says. And plus it doesn't feel like an hour we are in the car going back and forth from Mojokerto and Surabaya....I believe it's more like 30-40 minutes.

2. How hot is hot?
Well, it's hot. But a different kind of hot. It does't actually feel hot unless you're inside the houses....walking outside, it just feels like normal hot weather....but inside it kinda feels like you are walking into a suana.

3. Do you sweat a lot?
Hahaha. Of course!

4. Are there air conditioners?
Indeed. And they feel gooooooooood!

5. How is the food?
The food is delicious! I love it for the most part. I am trying to get used to eating rice everyday..... There are certain things that I love, and certain things that I tolerate. But overall, it's good stuff.

6. How different is it?
Ummmm......well it's different in some ways, and not so different in others. Most of the stuff that is taking to get used to is cultural stuff......and it's not really that bad to me. They don't cook here, everything is ordered....but food is super cheap. I mean S-U-P-E-R C-H-E-A-P!!! I think it's like less than $10 US for the whole family to eat! And they use toiliet paper as a napkin here......cause they don't use toiliet paper, they wash up right then and there....kinda like a mini bath for your crotch.

7. Can you please tell us about the toilet story....
No. Never. :-D

8. What has been your most favorite memory so far?
1. Seeing Eri at the airport.
2. Indonesian Safari

9. Are you picking up any Bahasa Indonesia?
Well......yeah.....I guess. I think I am soaking it up like a sponge...I talk to people, but trust me, not like complex things at all- more like "Thank You" "How Are you?" "I am fine" "I need to use the bathroom" "I Love You" "Let's eat" things like that.....hehehehe

10. Has Eri been a good host?
Eri has been an amazing host.

11. Overall, are you enjoying your experience?
YES.

12. Why do you call Eri's family by "Buddhist Uncle" "Japanese Aunt"...etc?
Well, because. It's a very complex process calling people by names....some much depends on birth order....like they call Eri, all younger cousins "Older Brother Yudi" well not really Older Brother, but the chinese word for older brother....and Yudi....Eriyanto WahYUDI. It's just a way of us remembering who we are talking about...all of his Aunt's are named Sri....so you say Sri, and it could be any of them......but at least I have all his cousins names down, and who they are, their locations, etc.

13. When are you coming home?
Not quite sure yet.

14. You say Chinese sometimes and you are in Indonesia....I'm confused....what's going on there?
Ahhh ok. Eri and his family are all of Chinese descent. They are called Chinese Indonesians.....and they are Buddhist. Indonesia is a Muslim country. They speak Chinese and Bahasa Indonesia, and are very in tune with the Chinese culture. And here in this place...the Chinese are discrimintated against. Type it into google, it's quite alarming. You can find out a lot of information.

15. Is there anything the US could learn from Indonesia?
Well customer service is one......at the malls, the customer service is amazing. Take a look at this place BreadTalk, and KFC is a niiiiiice place to eat, and so is Pizza Hut. They have Starbucks coffee and Dunkin Donuts. But J. Co Donuts is soooooo good and so much better tasting! Ironically enough, owned by BreadTalk... But yes, customer service is amazing here. They sure do take care of you.

16. Is there anything you are missing or crave from back home?
Yes. My dog, and an Arby's Roast Beef Sandwich.

Ok, I'm done interviewing myself. If you have any questions for me, just leave them as a comment and we will answer them next time...

Later!

Carle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Carle! That teaching gig sounds awesome! You'll have to let us know how it goes, eh? :) The bread & donut websites look pretty cool too. All that yummy food! Keep giving us updates, please, I like to know how you are doing. :) Take care & tell Eri I said Hi (if that's ok). *hugs* //Mary